Tuesday 25 February 2014

Bandai Gundam Molding Error

ERROR -

Bandai Gundam Molding Error!

So here's something you never want to see:

NOTE: The MG NU Gundam Ver. Ka has two (2) I plates and this is how I was able to compare and locate the issue points. 










 The spots are much more obvious in real life. The over exposure kind of threw the white balance a little off so now it looks really vibrant and the spots are a little faded in the image.


 So there you have it. It is a little disappointing when you spend $80 on a brand new kit, start to build it only to realize that there are some molding errors. The last picture doesn't really bother me but for those who straight build and perhaps just apply topcoat, this may annoy them as it is a discoloration of the plastic itself. You cant rub it off.  

I know no company's products are perfect in the production process but it does worry me a little as I have kits in my backlog that I haven't had time to properly inspect (nor should I have to). It's worrying that this runner still made it past quality control. There are a good 8 pieces that are not up to par with quality. When you compare the good runner with the bad runner, it is obvious what the problems are.

I believe that the main issue is due to the runner not having cooled sufficiently before it was handled. This led to the plastic becoming a little deformed.

Please realize that although it is a little annoying, this is the first time I have encountered this problem. It's just... now the pieces will not properly fit and they look pretty terrible as well. I'll have to find a way to fix them - perhaps putting them in really hot water then trying to mold it back into shape? Or I try cutting off some plastic and try to fix it with some putty (pretty adventurous for my level of skill). The last one could be to try and find a way to remold the good pieces. I think I've read somewhere previously that you could use epoxy putty to make a mold then recast it with some more epoxy putty. I'll have to look it up to make sure though. 

I have contacted the distributor I had purchased this from and am waiting to hear back from them to see if they will replace the parts for me or if they know a fix I can use.

Alas, very disappointing considering that now the $80-$85 I spent won't yield the results I was hoping to achieve. 

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do, please let me know in the comment section below. I'll also update this if I come across this issue again and if I find a fix.


If your a member on the new hobbylinktv site, click on the link to see my profile. 
Always room for more friends!
I also am currently selling items on ebay so have a look if your interested at all.
http://myworld.ebay.com/bauihobby/
Any questions? Leave a comment if you have one or just wanna say something.

If you guys are interested in buying some of the items shown above, please use the links below from amazon. It would really mean alot to me and doesn't cost you an extra cent. Just a few suggestions if at all interested. Many thanks guys and all the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment